Friday, August 2, 2013

Man of Steel Review


I LOVED this movie, & is my favorite Superman movie now, & my favorite movie of 2013. Henry Cavill became Superman in my eyes & I'm an old Christopher Reeve fan from way back when it was originally released. I believe he would absolutely give his blessing to Cavill's performance as well as the movie. It is very different from his movies, as it is much darker, is similarly done like Chris Nolan's Dark Knight series, it could have been titled, "Superman Begins" actually. Michael Shannon put in a stellar performance as General Zod, & I highly anticipate award noms for him. Not that Henry doesn't deserve any, but knowing how the Academy is regarding superheroes, I doubt that will happen. Amy Adams was excellent as Lois Lane, & I have to admit I couldn't see her as Lois when I first heard she was cast. She portrays her in such a strong, yet vulnerable way, & was perfect. Russell Crowe was superb as Jor-El & the 1st 20 minutes of the movie was on Krypton, so he had a much larger presence than I originally thought he would. I was very pleased that he was cast as well. The best surprise of the movie, was the fantastic Antje Traue who plays Zod's 2nd in command, Faora-Ul. She was very impressive on screen, & I'm looking forward to her next movie now. I really liked Laurence Fishburne as Perry White & hope to see him in the sequel. Kevin Costner put in a strong believable performance as Clark's adopted father, Jonathan Kent, & Diane Lane did very well as Clark's mother, Martha. & last but not least, I thought Dylan Sprayberry did a great job as the 13 year old Clark in several scenes. 


I have to add that Superman has been my #1 hero my whole life. I started watching the old George Reeves reruns in the late 50's, early 60's when I was a little girl, & read all the comic books I could get my hands on. Then you could've knocked me over with a feather when Chris Reeve's 1st movie came out in '78, I thought I had died & gone to heaven! I loved Superman 2, as well, & even liked the 3rd one. When Superman Returns was released in 2006, I fell in love with that movie, & truly felt like Brandon Routh portrayed the man of steel very, very well, & did justice to the role. However, this movie put me through the roof, & was an emotional roller coaster for me, it was not comical like the Chris Reeve movies, but it has just enough comic relief, in my opinion, & I actually prefer the darkness, seriousness, logic, & scientific way that Zack Snyder & David Goyer made this reboot. Plus the action sequences and special effects are so phenomenal, it was incredible to watch. & finally I have to give major kudos to Henry for his brilliant performance, he made me believe a man can really fly! 

The genius that is Hans Zimmer composed the profoundly awesome score that drives home the emotions throughout the film and is in perfect sync with the scenes, but can also work as a standalone score to listen to. You can check out the clips from it here - Man of Steel Score

If you didn't see this fantastic movie on the big screen, & still have a chance to see it that way, DO IT! It just won't be the same on a TV, unless of course you have a 150" screen.

I'm so thankful it made enough money that there will be a franchise. I'm already frothing at the mouth waiting for tidbits of info on the sequel!

Check out the trailers below:



Check out the official website here - Man of Steel It's a really cool site with beautiful wallpapers, gallery, games, & videos. & the coolest thing of all, a Glyph Generator where you can answer a few questions about yourself & get your own Glyph made with your name & add your picture to post online there. Mine is Vanessa-Ko or Vanessa of the house of Ko. Pretty cool!

No comments: