Monday, August 2, 2010

Charlie St. Cloud review

OMG, I saw this beautiful movie Saturday with my sister & brother. Where do I start? I have noticed a lot of harsh criticism of it already online & users giving it less than a 5 out of 10 on imdb. WTF? Did they see the same movie I saw? Zac Efron is amazing in this movie. I have to admit I never paid any attention to him when he was in the High School Musicals, but when I caught his last movie, 17 Again, on cable a few months ago, I was blown away by his emotional range. He really can act. His courtroom scene where he pretends to read a letter brought all kinds of tears to my eyes. What a powerful scene that was. So, that said, now back to Charlie St. Cloud. He outdid himself with his emotional range in this one & no wonder since he loses his little brother in a tragic car accident where his character not only was driving, but wasn't supposed to even be out, so it could have totally been avoided. He really did a wonderful job portraying humor, angst, self torment, horror, devastation, happiness, new found love, & so on.
Of course it doesn't hurt that he is absolutely beautiful with the most gorgeous eyes, he very much reminds me of a younger Jared Leto, who nearing 40 now could actually have played his older version in 17 Again & been way more believable than Matthew Perry, although I realize the reason for Perry being cast, with his wry wit & self deprecating humor, it made for more funnier moments than had Jared (who is way better looking) been cast instead. OK, I digress, back to Charlie St. Cloud. Charlie Tahan who played his younger brother did a very good job with his part, not great, but very good & I see a real acting future for that young man.
The love interest played by Amanda Crew, a young Canadian who has had bit parts in a couple of movies I have seen, was excellent & I hope to see more good things from her in the future. Some things in the movie were not at first evident to me where they were going with it, I had virtually heard nothing about the script, & all I had seen prior to the movie was the trailer. OK, please note, possible spoilers ahead here....




I was pleasantly surprised by what they put in it as far as a supernatural theme went. Kind of like a "ghost whisperer" or Sixth Sense theme.

The cinematography was gorgeous being that it was filmed in British Columbia, & I especially loved the sailing scenes.
Well, anyway, I give it 2 thumbs up & highly recommend it unless you are one of those people that only like rom-coms. If so, then skip this one.

But seriously, how can you say NO to this face???
Here is the trailer:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vanessa, that was a great review. I really want to see this movie, and I never listen to the critics as they do not look for the same things I do in a movie, escapeism, entertainment, characters I like in some way, and I dont't care about realism.

Linda

Vanessa said...

Thanks Linda, sorry it took me a couple of days to properly thank you. But you know where I am! >;-)