Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Other Guys review


Well, I have taken way too long to post my opinion of this movie, after all, I did see it over a week ago.  So, here goes.  I loved it!  It was much funnier than I was expecting.  Will Ferrell is a very odd guy & I have absolutely loved some of his movies, & others are just OK.  This one is one that I really thoroughly enjoyed.  & Mark Wahlberg doing comedy?  Who knew???  He was great in this playing Will's character's borderline nemesis.  In reality their characters are partners on the police force, first sitting opposite each other at desk jobs, then thrown into being detective partners.  They make strange bedfellows for sure, but complement each other very well, playing off each other's odd comedic wit.  I was strangely enough a fan of Mark's way back in the day when he was "Marky Mark", singing hip hop with the Funky Bunch, who soon realized his real talent lay in acting.  I do believe I have seen all his movies since, most of them I really liked, with the big exception of The Happening, a major Shyamalan disappointment in '08.  I really wanted to not find fault with Wahlberg's acting in that movie since he is normally excellent in everything else.  But honestly his performance was totally wooden & maybe that was the fault of the director?  Who knows?  Back to The Other Guys, I found it very fun, funny, & Ferrell was in the zone in this one way moreso than his last one that flopped, Land of the Lost.  Another one that I wanted to see be a hit. I thought that movie would be a fun nostalgic silly romp & went to see it believing I would love it.  I didn't.  I liked it OK, but that just doesn't cut it anymore, in my opinion.  So, again back to The Other Guys, Dwayne Johnson & Samuel L. Jackson have a bit part in it in the beginning that is brilliant & the other main character in the movie is played by Michael Keaton as their police captain.  I was always a major Keaton fan from the beginning of his career & have truly missed him, so it was a pleasant surprise to see him in this playing his normal weird type of character he was always so good at.

Here is the trailer to check out > 

I give it 2 thumbs up & say go see it now, it is worth the ticket price if you love outrageous comedies, & definitely Ferrell & Wahlberg do not disappoint at all.  Hope to see them in a movie again together some day actually.

No comments: